Along with the Cisco Packet Tracer, Graphical Network Simulator 3 (GNS3) is another great simulator. It was first released in 2008. GNS3 is a graphical network simulator. It allows you to create and design simple to complex network topologies. Unlike the Cisco Packet Tracer, GNS3 provides more functionalities, features, and the real life virtual environment. One misconception about GNS3 is that people think that GNS3 is only used for the preparation of network professional certification exams. However, many giant companies including WALMART, NASA use GNS3 to simulate complex networks. GNS3 uses Dynamips to emulate the Cisco IOS. Dynamips is a computer program developed by Christophe Elliot to emulate the Cisco IOS.
Download GNS3 Latest Version
You can freely download GNS3 from its Official Website. To download the latest version of GNS3, visit the official website and follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Sign Up to the GNS3 official website or login with the existing account, if you have signed up already. Click the Download link to download it.
- You will be redirected to the download section. Choose the platform for which you want to download GNS3. In this article, we will download GNS3 for Windows platform. You can download GNS3 for Linux and MAC also.
- On the Thank You! page, you will see that the downloading process begins. Let’s complete the downloading process.
Install GNS3 on Windows
To install GNS3 on Windows system, you need to perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the location where you downloaded GNS3.
- Double-click the GNS3 Setup file to start the installation.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next.
- On the License Agreement screen, click I Agree.
- On the Choose Start Menu Folder, click Next.
- On the Choose Components page, select the components that you want to include, and then click Next.
- On the Choose Install Location page, accept the default location or change it, if you wish, and then click Install.
- On the WinCap welcome page, click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to install it. WinCap is required for GNS3 to communicate with real networks through a physical network internal controller.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the rest of the installation process of GNS3.
- The GNS3 setup will automatically install any of the dependent components. If the WireShark Setup wizard display, follow the on-screen instructions and install it with the default selections.
- The GNS3 installation will be completed, click Finish.
- Once the installation is completed, double-click the GNS3 icon on the desktop. If you are unable to see the GNS3 icon. Click the Start button, select All Programs, and then select GNS3 from the list of installed applications.
- The GNS3 graphical console will be displayed.
In this post, we have learned how to download GNS3 and install it on a Windows system. In the next posts, we will learn how to download and add IOS images to GNS3.